Programming lights, buzzers, motors and robots is extremely engaging for pupils and often leads to a lightbulb moment (excuse the pun!) about how computers function. Depending on your preference, the workshops could focus on using:
All resources will be brought along for use during the session.
Our robotics days can be differentiated depending on your pupils’ ability. For example, the workshops could be altered to the needs of those pupils on your gifted and talented register by developing advanced thinking and problem-solving skills.
What does the workshop involve?
All our workshops can be tailored to your school’s specific needs and help meet the requirements of the KS2 Computing National Curriculum, with a specific focus on the following Programme of Study area: design, write and debug programs that accomplish specific goals, including controlling or simulating physical systems
A typical session, containing a mixture of problem solving and program development, could include:
- Overview of the session and examples of work pupils will produce
- Introduction to basic programming commands (e.g. flashing a light on and off)
- Sequencing instructions for components (e.g. traffic light sequences; warning buzzers)
- Decision making / responding to events (e.g. a robot turns around if it bumps into a wall)
- Repetition of instructions (e.g. a Lego crocodile’s mouth continually moving up and down)
- Designing and making a physical end product (e.g. a step counter / FitBit)
- Sharing programs
- Parental showcase – parents / carers visit school to see what the children have produced during the day
The workshops can also build on children’s existing knowledge, including content taught during ICT / Computing lessons. Should staff training be required, this can also be arranged using our programming training.
Who is the workshop for?
The session outlined above is suitable for able Y3 children and upwards, with older children able to attempt more complex problems and produce increasingly advanced programs.
How much does it cost?
The price outlined below includes an initial consultation with your school to ensure you’ll get the most from our training. Discounts are available for bookings of multiple training packages.
Full day: £450, although further costs may be involved should additional purchases be required